SELECT HOCKEY PROGRAM - ETOBICOKE BULLDOGS
The Etobicoke Hockey League operates a very successful Select Hockey Program within the North York Hockey League (NYHL). The Select teams from EHL compete against Select teams from other Clubs and Leagues across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Over the years a number of our teams have been crowned North York Hockey League Champions!
Select Hockey is played above the skill level of House League and is a competitive level of play. Games are played at a number of arenas in the GTA at least once a week and also includes an additional practice. This is above what is committed at House League. All Select players must play House League to be eligible to represent the Etobicoke Hockey League in the Select level within the NYHL. Consequently, none of the Select Hockey Programs conflicts with our House League schedule.
What's the difference between Select Hockey and House League?
Three important differences are:
- The Select Hockey program is more competitive with stronger skaters having better puck handling and shooting skills that improve over the course of the year by virtue of the additional practices and games played above the House League level.
- Select Hockey participation involves a higher costs, outside the fees of House League, due to the additional costs of ice time, NYHL entry and tournament fees.
- The time commitment is greater in Select Hockey due to weekday / weekend games at a number of arenas in the GTA, and participation in tournaments and extra weekend practices.
Etobicoke Hockey League expects to have 14 Select teams for the 2021-2022 Hockey Season.
- Under 7 (U7) - 2015 - (Tyke)
- Under 8 (U8) - 2014 - (Minor Novice)
- Under 9 (U9) - 2013 - (Novice)
- Under 10 (U10) - 2012 - (Minor Atom)
- Under 11 (U11) - 2011 - (Atom)
- Under 12 (U12) - 2010 - (Minor Peewee)
- Under 13 (U13) - 2009 - (Peewee)
- Under 14 (U14) - 2008 - (Minor Bantam)
- Under 15 (U15) - 2007 - (Bantam)
- Under 16 (U16) - 2006 - (Minor Midget)
- Under 17 (U17) - 2005 - (Midget Junior)
- Under 18 (U18) - 2004 - (Midget Senior)
- Under 21 (U21) - 2002 & 2003 - (Under 21)
*Subject to player interest and coaching availability.
2021-2022 Season Select Tryout
The GTHL has developed a preliminary return to play plan for the upcoming 2021-22 season, structured around the best-case scenario for a Fall 2021 start. The 2021-22 Return to Play plan, while developed with space to remain flexible and with the ability to adapt, is contingent upon provincial, public health, and municipality guidelines and restrictions that may be in place as the safety of our players is the highest priority.
If you are interested in Select Hockey, please register for house league and contact Team Managers and / or Coaches to inquire about next steps. Teams can take to the ice beginning September 7, 2021 (subject to change) for small scrimmages and team training.